Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette: Only Average Review

 Hello everyone!

My BFF Tonja recently went on a shopping excursion with me, and we stopped by Ulta (yay!!).  Since my birthday is next month, she asked me what I thought that I might like, that I couldn't justify in my budget.  My immediate answer was the Urban Decay Naked palette (either one!).  We called over an employee and asked which one is a smarter purchase for me.  He immediately said, "NEITHER!"  We asked him why, and he explained that the UD Vice 2 Palette had just come out, and that because it was limited edition, it was a smarter buy as a gift for me.  Then he commented on the makeup I was wearing; he said, "you know you want this one- I know you love color!"  Well, he was absolutely right, and Tonja promptly placed a Vice 2 palette in our shopping bag.

Did I mention that she is the Best. Friend. Ever?!!

Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette
This palette is SO beautiful on the outside- the purple and pink swirly pattern is unique to each palette.  UD used a water transfer process when they designed the packaging, and I absolutely love this!  The palette has a hard outer case, with a push button opening.  The "UD" on the palette is raised clear plastic, created with a crystal cut.  SO gorgeous!

This is seriously the biggest mirror I have EVER seen on a palette!

The inside of this palette doesn't disappoint either: the mirror is HUGE. 

Inside the Vice 2 Palette by Urban Decay
Top row: Smokeout, Lovesick, Shellshock, Coax, X-Rated
Second row: Prank, Madness, Strike, Stash, Poison
Third row: Radar, damaged, Voodoo, Betrayal, Derailed
Bottom row: Dope, Toxic, Habit, Ambush, Rewind
 This palette contains 20 pans of shadow, each 0.03 oz., and came with a Good Karma double ended brush.

The Vice 2 palette brush

This brush is made of synthetic material.  I think I read that the bristles are made from recycled soda bottles (maybe?).  One side is designed for contouring, the other for creases.  Since I'm in the "hooded eye" category, I use the crease side for blending.  This brush isn't SUPER soft, but it does a nice job of applying color, and doesn't have that "poky" feeling that brushes of lesser quality can have.

To open this palette, you press a button on the front, and it slowly opens on its own.  I love this feature, it just feels...luxurious.

Such a beautiful palette!

The shadow shades of Vice 2 are exclusive to this palette, and are absolutely gorgeous.  I don't think that there is a dud in the bunch!  The matte shadows are a tiny bit chalky, but in my experience almost all matte shades are a touch chalky.

I swatched all of the shades, both over Nyx's Milk Jumbo Eye pencil and without any primer.  I took lots of pictures, but the ones I shot outside in natural (albeit dreary) light are the most true to shade.  I'll include those, and if you want to see the other pictures (inside flash, inside no flash), I'll be happy to update this post and include those too!  Click on any image to view it larger :)

Left to right: Smokeout, Lovesick, Shellshock, Coax, X-Rated

Left to right: Prank, Madness, Strike, Stash, Poison

Left to right: Radar, Damaged, Voodoo, Betrayal, Derailed
Left to right: Dope, Toxic, Habit, Ambush, Rewind
I have been steady using this palette since I received it (and how Rock Star is Tonja to let me have it early??!!), and some of my favorite combinations are X-Rated, Coax and Betrayal (pinky purple smoky eye), Damaged and Strike (Indian River colors eye look), Madness, Prank and Shellshock (metallic blue look), and Voodoo, Ambush and Habit (pretty purple look).  Habit and Dope are wonderful highlight shades, and I really love X-Rated in my inner corners.  Want pictures of these looks?  I'm pretty sure I have them on my Instagram; but if you want me to post them here, I surely will!

I think this palette works for anyone who loves color- and there are several neutral shades as well.  Habit and Rewind make a beautiful matte neutral eye, and then add a pop of color in the center for a little drama?  Perfect.

If you want to make one of these beauties your very own, these retail for $59.  Mine is from Ulta, but I know that Sephora and Urban Decay's own website sell them as well.

All in all, I have to say that this is the BEST early birthday present.  Ever.

Tell me, have you tried out the Vice 2 palette? 



Until next time, my lovelies- stay Average!



Wordle: Untitled

Disclaimer: This item was purchased by my awesome BFF as a birthday gift for me.  I was not asked nor requested to review this item by any company.  All opinions contained in this post are true and my own.  The links in this post are not referral links.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.